The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
24th August 1916On this day:
- 3rd Monmouths transferred 252 NCO's and men of the 3rd Monmouth Battalion left to join the 9th Entrenching Battalion. Of these 252 men 200 were transferred on the 20th of September from the 9th Entrenching Battalion into the 9th Welsh Regiment and the remainder into the 9th Welsh Fusiliers.
- Battery Active 236th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery report it was quiet in the morning. B236 Battery went out of action yesterday leaving only sixteen men and one officer with A236 Battery to work their guns. This is in accordance with new system of reliefs.
In the late afternoon greater activity prevailed.
The Division on our right (E) attacked the intermediate line at 1745.
The Germans shelled Welch Alley and localities adjoining very furiously with heavy shells.
Later in the evening A236 was targeted with gas shells. The attack was a failure.
- Zeppelin raid on London 24/25th August 1916.
The sixth successful London raid was on 24–25 August when 13 Navy Zeppelins were launched and Heinrich Mathy's L 31 reached London. Flying above low clouds, 36 bombs were dropped in 10 minutes on West Ferry Road, Deptford Dry Dock, the station at Norway Street and homes in Greenwich, Eltham and Plumstead. Nine people were killed, 40 injured and £130,203 of damage was caused.
L 31 suffered no damage in the attack but several weeks of repair-work were needed following a hard landing.
- 3rd Canadian Tunnelling Coy War Diary
Hill 60 By 10 a.m. enemy gallery clear of water and listeners posted at
60th Bn. Canadians relieved by Royal Warwicks 4th British Division.
- 24th August 1916 inspections and training
- 24th August 1916 Strenuous Training commences
- 24th Aug 1916 Working Parties
- 24th Aug 1916 Trench Work
- 24th Aug 1916 On the March
- 24th Aug 1916 Accident
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:10 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Remembering those who died this day. Sgt. Alfred Sydney Burvett. 24th Infantry Battalion Read their Story. Pte. Thomas Chambers. Durham Light Infantry 19th Btn Read their Story. L/Sgt. John Cobb. King's Royal Rifle Corps 9th Btn. CSM. Reuben Didcock. Kings Royal Rifle Corps 9th Btn. Read their Story. L/Cpl. Henry Freeman. Oxfordshire and Bucks Light Infantry 5th Battalion Read their Story. Pte Wilfred L Lee. Northumberland Fusiliers 19th Btn Read their Story. Pte. John Parsons. Kings Royal Rifle Corps 8th Btn. Sgt. Frederick Charles "Frank" Pocock. Worcester Rgt. 3rd Btn.
Add a name to this list.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved