The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
24th April 1918On this day:
- Gas Bombs 6th Btn, Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment engaged in Company and Specialist training in the vicinity of the billets. During the night, many bombs were dropped by hostile planes and the enemy shelled the town of Poperinghe, at intervals. One gas bomb fell on the Quartermaster's stores, slightly wounding one man. Several others, however, suffered rather badly from the effects of the gas. The only recorded casualty was 266658 Private R. Holdsworth (Wounded).
- 24th Apr 1918 Eye Witness Account of Prussian Guard Attack
- BETWEEN VIEUX BERQUIN & GD SEC BOIS
Usual shelling. Patrol of 1 NCO & 5 men went to same house as that visited last night also other houses in the neighbourhood. They saw 4 Germans come from a haystack and go to a house some distance away where they were joined by another two, whole party then moved off. Patrol were unable to get to them.
The National Archives Reference WO95/2361/1
- 24th Apr 1918 Reorganisation
- 24th Apr 1918 Resting
- 24th Apr 1918 Reliefs
- 24th Apr 1918 Training
- 24th of April 1918
- 24th of April 1918 Heavy Hostile Shelling
- 24th Apr 1918 In Camp
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:10 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVIII
- All Rights Reserved