The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
23rd September 1915On this day:
- Pre Loos Bombardment 6th County of London Brigade RFA report one gun declared defective from 5th London Field Artillery Battery - one from 17th London Battery was taken up to replace it.
3rd day of bombardment prior to Battle of Loos.
Spare stores were stored at 47th Royal Artillery storage at Haillicourt.
- 23rd September 1915 Regimental Parade
- 23rd Sep 1915 Under Fire
- 23rd Sep 1915 Artillery Duel
- 23rd Sep 1915 Shipping Diverted
- 23rd Sep 1915 Drifter Bombed
- 23rd Sep 1915 Three Ships Sunk
- 23rd Sep 1915 7th Northumberlands into Trenches
- 23rd Sep 1915 Reliefs
- 23rd Sep 1915 On the March
- 23rd Sep 1915 Rations
- 23rd Sep 1915 Artillery Active
- P Class Zeppelin Zeppelin LZ50 (L16)
- Production Ref: LZ50
- Class type : P
- Tactical ref: L16
- Usage: Military
- First Flight: 23rd September 1915
Carried out 44 reconnaissance missions and 12 attacks on England dropping a total of 18,048 kg (39,789 lb) of bombs. It also delivered supplies to German Isles in Winter 1916. It was damaged beyond repair during a training mission at Nordholz Airbase on the 19th October 1917.
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:13 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved