The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
23rd October 1916On this day:
- 16th Northumberland Fusiliers return to the Somme The 16th Btn Northumberland Fusilers march from Harponville to Albert Brickfields, via Vadencourt, Warloy, Henencourt and Millencourt. They spend the night under canvas in heavy rain, some in bivouacs.
- Batteries Register 236th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery report
Nothing of any importance. Batteries registered. Very little firing.
- 23rd October 1916 Awards Parade and Conference
- 23rd October 1916 3rd Canadian Tunnelling Coy War Diary
- 23rd October 1916 Battalion training
- 23rd Oct 1916 Trench Foot
- 23rd Oct 1916 Troops on the Move
- Heavy rain. A & B Co. 18th DLI moved back into bivouac, on account of enemy shelling. Bde HQ in Quanny was shelled, Bde then moved to new HQ near Sailly Church.
- 23nd Oct 1916 On the March
- 23rd Oct 1916 Attack Made
- 23rd Oct 1916 Air Raid
- Ship Sunk HMS Genista, launched 26 February 1916 was sunk by German submarine U-57 in the Atlantic, whilst minesweeping off the west coast of Ireland.
Genista sank rapidly and out of 73 crew, only 12 survived.
- 23rd Oct 1916 Baths
- 23rd Oct 1916 In the Front Line
- 23rd Oct 1916 Reinforcements
- 23rd of October 1916 Mortar Attack
- 23rd of October 1916 At Rest
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:17 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved