The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
23rd November 1916On this day:
- 14 Brigade ordered to advance An order is received from GOC 14 Brigade to capture point 88 and point 17, but mud and absence of artillery preparation makes the advance near impossible. 16th Btn Northumberland Fusilers suffer several casualties, most caused by "shorts" from British artillery.
- Exchange of Fire 236th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery report
Enemy broke his custom and began Trench Mortar strafe in the morning. From 9am to 10.30am about thirty bombs were fired on our trenches I.21.d.5.3 and I.24.d.5.4. Group were informed and scheme two for bombardment of Trench Mortars was ordered at 1050. Left Brigade and Heavies did not fire but C180 Battery carried out the programme. Enemy became annoyed and at 1120 opened a heavy Trench Mortar fire on our trenches. Retaliation scheme two as ordered again at 1210. This time all batteries fired and at 1230 the enemy was silenced for the day.
On Right of Group Zone the enemy's Trench Mortars were very active from 1345 to 1415 from Snout to Dump. This repeated from 1535 to 1615 with the addition of 4.2 inch and 77 mm guns.
Reorganisation officially ordered but S.O. ASC still insists that C236 Battery should draw its own rations.
- 23rd Nov 1916 20th Durhams at Ontario Camp
- Early start for 33 Bn AIF Reveille 4:30 AM Battalion less 250 under Captain Linklater entrained at 8 AM. Train pulled out at 10 AM. Train halted Montérolier-Buchy at 8:30 PM for 30 minutes.
War Diary of 33rd Btn Australian Imperial Force, Le Havre
- 23rd November 1916 Fire trench completed
- 23rd November 1916 Winter training routine
- 23rd Nov 1916 Duty Upheld
Wet in the morning and cold. 15 W.Y.R. took over A Co sector. C Co relieved by D Co. A Co moved into billets in HEBUTERNE. Now D Co Left Front. B Co Right Front. C Co Left Support. A Co Left Support. Patrols reconnoitred No Man’s Land .
The National Archives Reference WO95/2361/1
- 23rd Nov 1916 Aircraft Active
- 23rd Nov 1916 On the March
- 23rd Nov 1916 Gas Test
- 23rd Nov 1916 Artillery Active
- 23rd of November 1916 Combined Bombardment
- 23rd of November 1916 TMs quiet
- 23rd Nov 1916 Little News
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:15 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved