The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
23rd July 1916On this day:
- Straffing 236th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery at
Our artillery carried out a strafe at 0100 of 20 rounds per battery. The enemy was quick to retaliate on our support line.
- 122 Siege Battery RGA at Grouville Riviere 122 Siege Battery RGA at Grouville Riviere with #1 Group, 6th Corps until Sept. 11th
- 1st Cornwall light Infantry attack The 1st DCLI took part in an attack on strong points located in the orchards to the north of Delville Wood. The attack began at 3.40 a.m. and despite early success the battalion was driven back to Pont Road by enemy counter attacks.
- 3rd Canadian Tunnelling Coy War Diary
Hill 60 Had trouble with I steel shaft bad ground - Breakaway in
Anzac steel shaft.
Continuing loading chambers in A gallery, as powder is available
- Promotions and Appointments E Battery 3rd Brigade RHA
The only entries during July from images provided are for two senior appointments.
23rd July - Lt Col J Olivant DSO RHA left the 2nd Cavalry Division on promotion to Brigadier General Royal Artillery and moved to the 3rd Division.
26th July - Lt Col TM Archdale DSO RHA joined the 2nd Cavalry Division.
July 1916 diary is signed by Captain AG Neville for OC E RHA
- 23rd July 1916 Church services
- 23rd July 1916 Gas alarm
- 23rd Jul 1916 Letters Censored
- 23rd Jul 1916 On Stand by
- 23rd Jul 1916 Church Parade
- 23rd Jul 1916 On the Move
- 23rd Jul 1916 Resting
- 23rd Jul 1916 Reinforcements
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:13 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved