The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
23rd April 1916On this day:
- 16th Northumberland Fusilers leave Pierregot 16th Battalion Northumberland Fusilers leave Pierregot for Senlis, via Rubempre, Herissart, Contay and Warloy.
- Enemy Guns More Active 6th County of London Brigade RFA at
Carency report a wagon parade was held at 1010 in the 16th Battery Wagon Line which the BGRA attended.
The enemy guns were more active today bombarding our front line with Trench Mortars at 1000 and 1120. All our batteries retaliated. There were at least seven German observation balloons up today. The BGRA visited the 15th London Battery RFA while the battery was firing on Puist. The Carency-Souchez road was shelled from 1215 to 1300, with a burst of 12 shells.
(Note: BGRA = Brigadier General Royal Artillery).
- German deserter questioned A German deserter was questioned by the 29th Division about numbers of men, machine guns & gas bombs. He said that there were gas bombs and canisters with the 4th Bavarians in the Hulluch and that he heard officers talking about an attack in this sector.
- 23rd April 1916 Easter Sunday Church Services
- 23rd Apr 1916 Outposts Cut Off
- 23rd Apr 1916 In Reserve
- 23rd Apr 1916 Courses
- 23rd Apr 1916 Gas Alarm
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:8 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved