The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
22nd November 1915On this day:
- 16th Northumberland Fusilers arrived in France 16 Btn, Northumberland Fusiliers disembark at Boulogne from Folkestone.
records of the 16th (service) battalion northumberland fusiliers captain ch cooke mc, newcastle upon tyne 1923
- Fighting at Ctesiphon The Battle of Ctesiphon began at dawn, with British Forces attacking the Ottoman defences on banks of the Tigris River in Mesopotamia.
In just 3 days 4,500 Indian soldiers would be killed or wounded fighting for Britain against the Turks in modern day Iraq. The ancient ruins of the Arabic palace were used as hospital to treat the wounded.
- Gloucestershire Hussars return to Egypt On November 22nd 1915 the Gloucestershire Hussars left Gallipoli sailed back to Alexandria.
- Training 6th County of London Brigade RFA report
a course of Instruction in Military Correspondence, Indents etc. was instituted with lectures being given by S.M.J.T. Heed. All Subaltern officers are attending. The men are also having instruction in the following: shoeing, chiropody and cooking.
- 22nd November 1915 9th Lancers in Billets
- 22nd Nov 1915 Enemy Mine Explodes
- Compensation Offered The German Government offers compensation to the American families of those who lost a family member when the RMS Lusitania was sunk in May. America refuses this offer.
- 22nd Nov 1915 Company & Platoon Drill
- 22nd Nov 1915 Lethal Weapon
- 22nd Nov 1915 Pioneer Training
- 22nd Nov 1915 Fatigues
- 22nd Nov 1915 On the March
- 22nd Nov 1915 On the Move
- 22nd November 1915 Big move preparation
- 22nd Nov 1915 Construction Work
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:15 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Remembering those who died this day. Pte. James Robert Bullock. East Lancashire Regiment 1/5th Btn. Read their Story. Rflmn. Matthew Clayton. Kings Royal Rifle Corps 9th Btn. Read their Story. Pte. William Bain Hogg. Highland Light Infantry 5th (City of Glasgow) Btn. D Coy Read their Story. L/Sgt. Henry John Speer. King's Royal Rifle Corps 9th Btn.
Add a name to this list.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved