The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
21st October 1917On this day:
- Daily Activity 9th Btn. (North Irish Horse) the Royal Irish Fusiliers.
Church Parades were held in the morning and Rugby football in the afternoon (first practice). A very fine day.
The following decorations have been awarded for gallantry in the field at Ypres on 16th August 1917:
- Military Cross.
- Captain T.F Given
- Captain R.S Flood
- Captain O.V Burrows Royal Army Medical Corps
- Regimental Sergeant Major C.H Turner
- Distinguished Conduct Medal.
- 17545 Sergeant S Carvell;
- Military Medal.
- 13971 Sergeant J Adams, 14555 Sergeant J McCullough
- 14720 Sergeant A Jurkington, 16117 Acting Corporal R.W Knaggs
- 14748 Lance Corporal Whiteside S, 23926 Private Shanks C
- 20353 Private Rogers J, 24174 Lance Corporal Jackson E
- 22562 Private Steele G, 14154 Private Elliott J
- 14566 Private McCormick R.J, 15864 Private Lynn W.J, 14447 Private Morton J.
These awards were announced on 4th October 1917.
- 21st Oct 1917 9th York & Lancs to Rest Camp
- 21st Oct 1917 Gun in Action
- FRONT LINE
Enemy TM’s quiet during day. At 10.50pm enemy sent over poison TM’s on South end of our frontage. During night enemy MG’s fired occasional bursts.
- 21st Oct 1917 Gas Test
- 21st Oct 1917 On the Move
- 21st Oct 1917 Reliefs
- 21st Oct 1917 Reliefs
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:8 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved