The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
21st October 1916On this day:
- 16th Northumberland Fusiliers march south The 16th Btn Northumberland Fusilers march to Harponville.
- Relocations 236th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery are south of Watou.
One section of each battery moved up to relieve the 10th, 11th, 12th and 14th Batteries and 104th Howitzer Battery belonging to the 2nd Australian Division Artillery.
One Battery of the 238th Brigade was lent to the 236th Brigade for this purpose.
- Engineers join Infantry near Mouquet Farm Regina Trench Expected to be the last big battle before 106th Coy Engineers go on leave. All waiting at Mouquet Farm before joining the infantry, 12 Noon the guns started and the men went over taking the Germans by surprise. 12.15 the Germans ran back passed the Engineers. At 6.30pm the Engineers worked up to the infantry and joined them expecting a counter attack, the position was consolidated.
- 21st October 1916 Routine and reinforcements
- 21st October 1916 3rd Canadian Tunnelling Coy War Diary
- 21st October 1916 Brigade Ceremonial
- 21st Oct 1916 Appalling Conditions
- 21st Oct 1916 Air Raid
- ST LEGER
Battn. moved from billets in ST LEGER to relieve 12th EAST YORKS as left Support in LEFT SUB-SECTOR HEBUTERNE, Battn. in billets & bivouacs at SAILLY AU BOIS.
The National Archives Reference WO95/2361/1
- 21st Oct 1916 Training
- 21st Oct 1916 On the March
- 21st Oct 1916 On the Move
- 21st Oct 1916 Reliefs
- 21st of October 1916 Enemy Shelling
- 21st Oct 1916 Concert
- 21st Oct 1916 Wounded Arrive
- 21st Oct 1916 On the March
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:17 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved