The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
21st July 1915On this day:
- 2nd Royal Fusiliers arrived in Malta The 2nd Battalion Royal Fusilers arrived Malta enroute to the Dardanelles.
- 10th Btn. Rifle Brigade proceed to France 10th Battalion, Rifle Brigade having completed their training at Hamilton Camp near Stonehenge, proceeded to France, landing at Bologne.
- Daily Battery Activity 6th London Brigade RFA The Adjutant of 6th County of London Brigade RFA, Captain M.J.K. O’Malley, became sick and was evacuated to 6 Field Ambulance. 15th London Battery fired a total of 36 rounds on billets at Loos and 7 rounds on German forward trenches, all in retaliation. 16th London Battery fired 23 rounds in retaliation, of these, 8 rounds were fired at Loos and remainder distributed along the German Front Line trenches. Later 32 rounds were fired at the latter target. At 3 periods during the day 17th London Battery retaliated on G.34.c.6.8. Three NCO’s and one man of the 15th London Battery were wounded as a result of examining a German 'blind' shell. One man of the 17th London Battery was wounded during bombardments of the 17th London Battery Wagon Line at Novelles
- 21st July 1915 9th Lancers train
- Unsuccessful search for new sites for Field Ambulance Visited by Assistant Director of Medical Services and Deputy Assistant Director Medical Services 8th Division. On their instructions, and accompanied by Lt. Hampson, went to inspect possible sites, in neighbourhood of Nouveau Monde, for Field Ambulance to occupy but found none suitable.
War diary RAMC 19th Field Ambulance
- 1st Bn Herts relieved by Highland Light Infantry The Battalion was relieved by the 9th Bn Highland Light Infantry and marched into Montmorency Barracks, Bethune.
3 new Officers joined the Battalion from England - 2/Lieut. Grimble, 2/Lieut. Gudgeon, and 2/Lieut. Lee.
War Diary of the 1st Battalion Hertfordshire Regiment
- 21st Jul 1915 10th Sherwoods inspected
- 21st Jul 1915 A Change of Scene.
- 21st Jul 1915 An Excellent Lecture
- 21st Jul 1915 Working Parties
- 21st Jul 1915 Snipers Active
- 21st Jul 1915 Inspection
- 21st Jul 1915 Instruction
- 21st Jul 1915 On the Move
- 21st Jul 1915 Reliefs Completed
- 21st July 1915
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:16 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved