The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
21st January 1915On this day:
- According to my grandfather, Idris Howells, the 17th Batt Welsh Reg were already in Rhos-on-Sea by 21 Jannuary 1915, so not arriving in Rhos in the February of 1915. In his letter home from the Cardrona boarding house, Rhos, he says that he has "...sent 8 leters since I have been here..." The men were put up in boarding houses: Cardrona in Everard Road, Rhos and 'Moorehouse', Colwyn Crescent, Rhos. He says it is 'a lovely billet up here. Plenty of food and good food too. We have porridge and fried bacon for breakfast and two or three courses for dinner and sometimes cold meat for either tea or supper and boiled Cocoa. Second helpings of everything if you can eat it."
- U-Boat Index - WW1 SM U-7
Type U 5
Shipyard Germaniawerft, Kiel (Werk 149)
Ordered 8 Apr 1908
Laid down 6 May 1909
Launched 28 Jul 1910
Commissioned 18 Jul 1911
1 Aug 1914 - 21 Jan 1915 Georg König
Career 3 patrols
1 Aug 1914 - 21 Jan 1915 I Flotilla
Successes No successes.
Fate 21 Jan 1915 - Misidentified and torpedoed off Dutch coast by U22 (53.43N, 06.02E). One survivor. 24 dead and 1 survivor
There was another U 7 in World War Two.
That boat was launched from its shipyard on 29 Jun 1935 and commissioned into the Kriegsmarine on 18 Jul 1935.
- 21st Jan 1915 2nd Queens under fire
- 21st Jan 1915 Prisoners in Harsh Conditions
- 21st Jan 1915 Contracts for Army Clothing
- 21st Jan 1915 A Hearty Send Off
- 21st Jan 1915 Passes to be Checked
- 21st Jan 1915 Flowing with Water
- 21st Jan 1915 Relief
- 21st Jan 1915 Trench Work
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:10 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved