Battle of Festubert Secret 47th Div Arty Instructions 20th May 1915
(1) The following received from 47th Div.
The offensive of the First Army is to be continued towards La Bassee. Alderson's force is to secure localities L.11 - L.12 - L.9 and group of houses P.13 - P.14 - P.15 - P.16.
Indian Corps is to secure localities Q.15 - Q.16 - R.8.
Troops of the 47th Div. holding the line will use every means by day and night to harass the enemy continually.
All avenues of approach to the enemy's forward positions are to be kept under shrapnel fire by day and night especially between dusk and 2200.
(2) 47th Div. Arty. will deal with communication trench K.13 - J.21 Charelle St Roche and cross roads Charelle St Roche in particular.
(3) In continuation of above, the 3rd Canadian Inf. Bde. will tonight secure localities L.12 and L.11 with two companies. The assault will take place at 1945 proceeded by a heavy bombardment of 9.2” guns from 1800 to 1900 and from guns of the Canadian Div. Arty. from 1600 to 1945.
At the same hour a small party of the Canadian Inf. Bde. will attack points --.9 and --.12, These points will have been similarly submitted to an Artillery. bombardment
(4) All ground gained will be consolidated and joined up.
(5) The 2nd Canadian Inf. Bde. with two companies will secure K.5 at 1945. A heavy bombardment of K.5 and surrounding trenches will be carried out by 9.2” guns from 1800 to 1900 and by heavy and field guns of the Canadian Div. Arty. from 1600 to 1945.
After 1945 the 9.2” guns will fire at L.8.
(6) As soon as K5 is secured the trenches towards J.1 and L.8 will be secured as far as possible by bombing outwards.
All ground gained will be consolidated and joined up.
(7) 2nd Div. will keep up a slow continuous bombardment throughout the night on P.15 to P.16 and Rue Du Marais.
(8) The heavy gun group will bombard through the night K.13 and Charelle St Roche.
(9) All avenues of approach to enemy's forward positions are to be kept under shrapnel fire by day and night and particularly between dusk and 2200.
(10) 47th Div. Arty. will deal with communication trench K.13 - J.21 Charelle St Roche and cross roads Charelle St Roche in particular
(11) No infantry fire will be directed north of the line J.3 - L.13
(12) All troops will be in a state of constant readiness except the Div. Reserve, 7th Div., Mounted Troops and 7th London Regiment.
(13) Horses will not be saddled.
Signed D.S. Sherlock Bde. Major 47th Div. Arty.