The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
19th July 1915On this day:
- New Gun Positions 15th London Battery fired 5 rounds in retaliation on German forward trenches and 16th London Battery 24 rounds. The 17th Lon Battery also fired at this objective. 30 men of the 5th London Brigade RFA and 40 men of the 7th London Brigade RFA were attached to the Batteries of the 6th London Brigade, to assist in building the new gun positions required for wire cutting.
- Mine blown at Hooge 3rd Division blew a mine at Hooge which had been prepared by 175th Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers. They had constructed a gallery 190 ft long and laid a charge of 3500lbs of ammonal, creating a crater 120ft in diameter and 20ft deep.
- 19th July 1915 9th Lancers working party
- Move to Steenwerck Unclear orders from 19th infantry brigade. Headquarters marched at 10:30 am to billets near Steenwerck, square A15C.sheet 36; relieved by one section 82nd Field Ambulance which took over advanced dressing station at Gris Pot. Divisional baton handed over to charge of 83rd Field Ambulance.
This day the 19th Infantry Brigade was relieved from the trenches, and moved into billets in the area west and south of Steenwerck.
Lt. Hill temporarily attached to Royal Welch Fusiliers, in relief of Lt. Harbison proceeded on nine days leave.
- 19th Jul 1915 19th Seige Bty RGA in action
- 19th Jul 1915 8th Worcesters entrain
- 19th Jul 1915 9th Welsh Fuiliers arrive in France
- 19th Jul 1915 Mine Exploded
- 19th Jul 1915 Situation Normal
- 19th Jul 1915 In Billets
- 19th Jul 1915 Into the Line
- 19th Jul 1915 Heavy Shelling
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:12 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved