The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
18th October 1915On this day:
- 6th London Brigade in the Battle of Loos 6th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery war diary states:
Concentration of fire at 1300hrs on Woods No 5 and 4 (H25.d.1.8 to H25.d.5.8 and H25.d.5.3 to H25.c.3.9).
Six rounds per gun fired at 1300, followed by four rounds per gun at 1310, fired quickly.
Bombardier A J Farquharson (17th London Battery) was wounded.
2/Lt J H Van den Bergh, 16th London Battery was appointed Orderly Officer to OC. Brigade and transferred to Brigade Headquarter Staff.
Gallantry Award, Under authority granted by His Majesty the King, the Field Marshall Commanding in Chief appointed the undermentioned officer to be a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order:
Major Hadrian Bayley, 15th County of London Battery, RFA, 6th London Brigade RFA, in recognition of services rendered at Le Plantin from the 12th to the 26th May 1915.
- 8th Yorks & Lancs join 8th Division 8th Yorks and Lancs transfer with 70th Brigade to 8th Division.
- 18th October 1915 9th Lancers training
- 28th Division to proceed to Egypt 28th Division are ordered to leave France for Salonkia, they are to sail from Marseilles to Alexandria, Egypt.
- 70th Field Coy RE hold trench neat The Quarries Near "the Quarries" Sappers Burrows and Whitlaw 70th Field Company RE regained and held a trench by throwing "bomb" all through the night. Both were awarded the DCM.
- 18th Oct 1915 7th Northumberlands in the Trenches
- 18th Oct 1915 Training
- 18th Oct 1915 A Trip Along the Coast
- 18th Oct 1915 Patrols
- 18th Oct 1915 Under Shellfire
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:10 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved