The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
18th May 1918On this day:
- Daily Activity 9th Btn. (North Irish Horse) the Royal Irish Fusiliers.
- Effective strength: 34 Officers, 935 Other Ranks, 32 horses, 21 mules.
- Ration strength: 27 Officers, 646 Other Ranks, 36 horses, 21 mules.
- Increase: 235 Other Ranks.
- Decrease: 1 horse.
- 16th (Irish) Division return to England 16th (Irish) Division return to England.
- U-Boat Index - WW1
Type U 139
Shipyard Germaniawerft, Kiel (Werk 300)
Ordered 1 Aug 1916
Launched 3 Dec 1917
Commissioned 18 May 1918
18 May 1918 - 11 Nov 1918 Lothar von Arnauld de la Perière
Career 1 patrols.
start date unknown - 11 Nov 1918 U-Kreuzer Flotilla
Successes 4 ships sunk with a total of 6,788 tons.
1 ship damaged with a total of 2,502 tons. (View ships hit by U 139)
- 1 Oct 1918 U 139 Lothar von Arnauld de la Perière Bylands 3,309 br
- 1 Oct 1918 U 139 Lothar von Arnauld de la Perière Manin 2,691 it
- 1 Oct 1918 U 139 Lothar von Arnauld de la Perière Perth (damaged) 2,502 br
- 2 Oct 1918 U 139 Lothar von Arnauld de la Perière Rio Cavado 301 pt
- 14 Oct 1918 U 139 Lothar von Arnauld de la Perière Augusto De Castilho 487
Fate 24 Nov 1918 - Surrendered to France. Became the french submarine Halbronn until 24 July, 1935. Broken up.
There was another U 139 in World War Two.
That boat was launched from its shipyard on 28 Jun 1940 and commissioned into the Kriegsmarine on 24 Jul 1940.
- 18th May 1918 Newsletter
- NEAR FLETRE
Working parties as for last night. Weather very warm.
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:5 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved