The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
18th March 1915On this day:
- 18th March 1915 Journey by Train
- 1st Gordons relieved near Vierstraat 1st Battalion Royal Scots in Ypres, Belgium.
1st Battalion Royal Scots and Suffolk’s relieve the 1st Gordon Highlanders in trenches near Vierstraat.
- U-Boat Index - WW1 SM U-29
Type U 27
Shipyard Kaiserliche Werft, Danzig (Werk 19)
Ordered 19 Feb 1912
Launched 11 Oct 1913
Commissioned 1 Aug 1914.
1 Aug 1914 - 15 Feb 1915 Wilhelm Plange.
16 Feb 1915 - 18 Mar 1915 Otto Weddigen.
Career 1 patrols.
start date unknown - 18 Mar 1915 IV Flotilla
Successes 4 ships sunk with a total of 12,934 tons.
2 ships damaged with a total of 4,317 tons.
- 11 Mar 1915 U 29 Otto Weddigen Adenwen (damaged) 3,798 br
- 11 Mar 1915 U 29 Otto Weddigen Auguste Conseil 2,952 fr
- 12 Mar 1915 U 29 Otto Weddigen Andalusian 2,349 br
- 12 Mar 1915 U 29 Otto Weddigen Headlands 2,988 br
- 12 Mar 1915 U 29 Otto Weddigen Indian City 4,645 br
- 14 Mar 1915 U 29 Otto Weddigen Atalanta (damaged) 519 br
Fate 18 Mar 1915 - Rammed by HMS Dreadnought in Pentland Firth. Sank 5820N 0057E. 32 dead (all hands lost).
There was another U 29 in World War Two.
That boat was launched from its shipyard on 29 Aug 1936 and commissioned into the Kriegsmarine on 16 Nov 1936.
- 18th Mar 1915 All in Good Health
- Preparations for 19th Field Ambulance move Received orders from AAMO 6 Division for the move noted above to take place on 20th inst. This Field Ambulance will then work the line of the 19th Infantry Brigade, and have an Advanced Dressing Post at Gris Pot. One section will be detailed under Major Ahern to take over the 6th Divisional Bath House.
Visited the Advanced Post at Gris Pot and Regimental Posts of line to be worked.
War Diary 19th Field Ambulance RAMC, Armentières
- 1st Bn Herts experience heavy artillery fire Heavy artillery fire.
War Diary of the 1st Battalion Hertfordshire Regiment
- 18th Mar 1915 1st East Lancs in trenches
- 18th March 1915 Rest and train2nd Borders relieve 2nd Queens
- 18th Mar 1915 Gunners rescue sailors
- 18th Mar 1915 4th Camerons Relieved
- 18th Mar 1915 5th Lincs on the March
- 18th Mar 1915 Reliefs Completed
- 18th Mar 1915 In Action
- 18th Mar 1915 On the March
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:14 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved