The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
17th September 1917On this day:
- 16th Northumberland Fusiliers relieved by 2nd Inniskillings 2nd Battalion, Inniskilling Fusiliers relieve the 16th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers in the Lombartzyde sector.
- Daily Activity 9th (Service) Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers (K2)
later (from 25th Sep.1917) 9th Bn (North Irish Horse) Royal Irish Fusiliers.
The Battalion paraded at 1030 for inspection by the Corps Commander who expressed his satisfaction in generous terms of the appearance of the Battalion and the Transport.
The working parties carried on in afternoon and evening.
- 1st Siege Battery RGA defend Ypres The 1st Siege Battery RGA was part of the defence of Ypres, probably sited in or near Zillabeke - Birr crossroads.
- 17th September 1917 Training on sands
- 405 Bty Entrain 405 Bty, 166 Bde RFA left Le Havre for Marseilles via Paris and Rouen travelling by forage van.
- 17th Sep 1917 Treatment for Gassed
- 17th Sep 1917 Heavy Shelling
Battalion attack practice over old trench South of NEUVILLE ST VAAST.
- 17th Sep 1917 Lecture
- 17th Sep 1917 On the March
- 17th Sep 1917 Promotions
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:11 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Remembering those who died this day. Pte. Frederick Stanley Daymond. 7th (Service) Battalion Read their Story. Pte Thomas George Dix. Durham Light Infantry 1/8th Batalion Read their Story. Pte. Frank Laugher. Royal Warwickshire Regiment 11th Btn. Read their Story. Pte. Alfred A. Smith. South Lancashire Regiment 1st/4th Btn. Read their Story. Pte. John Richard Sowden. Cheshire Regiment 9th Btn. Lt. Frederick Harold Tubb. VC 7th Battalion L/Cpl. Edward Alfred Williamson. Northumberland Fusiliers 8th Btn. Read their Story.
Add a name to this list.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved