The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
17th March 1917On this day:
- 16th Northumberland Fusiliers move forward The 16th Btn Northumberland Fusiliers move forward, encountering no opposition due to the beginning of German withdrawal to the Hindenburg Line.
- Change of Command 236th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery report
Capt R A Corsan MC A236 Battery appointed to command B236 Battery with effect from 16th inst in place of Major Gordon DSO.
- HMS Mignonette sunk by a mine HMS Mignonette, was a British sloop of 1250 tons. On 17th March 1917 HMS Mignonette was sunk by a mine from the German submarine UC-66 (Herbert Pustkuchen) off the southwest coast of Ireland.
- 17th March 1917 Ongoing Railway work
- 17th March 1917 Horse casting inspection
- 17th Mar 1917 Training
- 17th Mar 1917 Trench Raid
- 17th Mar 1917 Into Billets
- 17th Mar 1917 Training
- 17th Mar 1917 Sudden Orders
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:10 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Remembering those who died this day. Pte. Joseph Clark Beedie. East Kent Buffs 1st Battalion Read their Story. Ldg Seaman. John Marrack Blewett. SS Alnwick Castle Engine Room Artificer Richard Wilson Bruce. HMS Mignonette Read their Story. Fourth Mate Gordon Winsland Davey. SS Alnwick Castle Pte. Frederick Gilbert Billings Tambling. Royal Berkshire Regiment 5th Btn. Read their Story. Lt. Harold Richard Taylor. Surrey Yeomanry (Queen Mary's Regiment) attd. 77th Coy. Machine Gun Corps Read their Story.
Add a name to this list.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved