The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
17th January 1916On this day:
- 2nd Royal Fusiliers depart Mundros The 2nd Royal Fusilers sailed from Mundros aboard the Empress of Britain bound for Alexandria.
- Quiet Day 6th County of London Brigade RFA report this was the quietest day yet in Loos sector. The enemy hardly shelled at all, except a little on our front line trenches. Many aeroplanes were up which may have accounted for this.
- 17th Jan 1916 Courts Martial
- 17th Jan 1916 In the Chateau
- 17th Jan 1916 Luton News: Thursday, 20th January 1916
- 17th Jan 1916 Artillery Bombardment
- 17th Jan 1916 Training
- 17th Jan 1916 Lights
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:8 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved