The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
17th February 1915On this day:
- Zeppelin raid on England Zeppelin LZ27 (L4) makes a forced landing in Blavandshuk on the 17th February 1915 during a storm. 11 of the crew were interned, with four members being lost when the airship was subsequently carried out to sea.
- 3rd Monmouths on the march The 3rd Battalion Monmouthshire Regiment arrived by train at Bavinchove. They then marched on to Cassel, the GHQ of the French Northern Army and there the soldiers were accommodated in public buildings.
- Mine blown at Hill 60 The first mine of the Great War was blown at Hill 60 near Ypres on the 17th of February 1915 by the Royal Engineers in tunnels which had been started by the French.
- 1st Battalion Royal Scots Belgium & France 1914 - 1915. 1st Battalion Royal Scots in Ypres, Belgium.
- Canadians officers start to train with 19 Field Ambulance Major Templeton and Capt. Vesey 3rd Canadian Field Ambulance reported themselves for a week's instruction in FA duties etc.
- 17th Feb 1915 Quiet day for 2nd Queens
- 17th Feb 1915
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:7 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Remembering those who died this day. Gnr. Ambrose Richard Alick. Read their Story. Pte. William Beresford. Royal Scots 1st Btn. Read their Story. Pte. George Brookes. Northumberland Fusiliers 2nd Btn. Gnr. Joseph Butterfield. Read their Story. Gnr. Charles Wentworth Dill. Read their Story. Pte. William Dougan. Royal Scots 1st Btn. Read their Story. Pte. Thomas Fernley. Northumberland Fusiliers 2nd Btn. Sgt. William James Fowler. Bermuda Militia Artillery Read their Story. Sjt. Edward George Harvey. Northumberland Fusiliers 2nd Btn. L/Cpl. John Leonard Sheldon. Middlesex Regiment 17th (1st Football) Battalion Read their Story. Sgt. Arthur Story. East Yorkshire Regiment. 2nd Btn. Read their Story. Pte. Walter Todman. Royal Scots 1st Btn. Read their Story. Pte. Abram Walker. Northumberland Fusiliers 2nd Btn. Pte. Charles Antony White. Cheshire Regiment 2nd Btn.
Add a name to this list.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved