The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
17th August 1917On this day:
- 16th Northumberlands on the move 16th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers leave Ribaillet camp for Coxyde.
- Activity in Front Line
Layout of Machine Guns under new Divisional Defence
245 Machine Gun Company
Mercatel and trenches.
Conference held at 245 Machine Gun Company Headquarters at 1200, attended by DMGO and OCís 149, 150 and 151 Brigades together with the OC. 245 MGC. The new Divisional Machine Gun Defence Scheme, part of the VI Corps Defence Scheme, was discussed.
Received a letter from Divisional HQ, showing division of gun positions under the new Defence Scheme and indicating that all guns are to be in position by 0600 21st August.
Copy of Divisional Letter GX4025/34 GSO1 50th Division.
17th August 1917.
- 1 Attached Map (Appx No.12) substituted for previous M.9 Maps.
- 2 Right Brigade to occupy positions 1 to 7 inclusive and S1 and S2.
- Left Brigade to occupy positions 8 to 15 inclusive and S8.
- 245 MG Coy. to occupy positions S3 to S7 and S9 to S12 inclusive.
- All guns to be in position by 0600 21st Aug 1917.
- Remaining 7 guns per Bde MG Coy in the line to be at the disposal of GOC Brigade
- 17th August 1917 Ongoing training
- BEEHIVE SUPPORT Bn. HQ ACHEVILLE SECTOR
Fine and quiet days. At night 150 men carried gas bombs to QUEBEC TRENCH for Special R.E. Capt. HUTCHENCE left to take up appointment of 2nd in Command of 1/6 SOUTH STAFFS.
- 17th Aug 1917 Into Support
- 17th Aug 1917 Training
- 17th Aug 1917 On the March
- 17th Aug 1917 At Rest
- 17th Aug 1917 Reliefs
- 17th Aug 1917 In Action
- 17th Aug 1917 In Reserve
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:11 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved