The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
17th August 1914On this day:
- 12th Lancers land in France 25 Officers, 543 other ranks and 608 horses of the 12th Lancers land at Le Havre having crossed from Southampton.
- Antwerp to be Belgian Capital The Belgian capital is moved from Brussels to Antwerp.
- 40th Brigade RFA sail for France 40th Brigade Royal Field Artillery, comprising 6th, 23rd and 49th Batteries, marched from Bulford Camp to Amesbury Station and entrained for Southampton.
for the crossing to Le Havre, France. They were attached to 3rd Infantry Division with the BEF
- Queen's Bays at Le Havre The Queen's Bays (2nd Dragoon Guards) having spent the night in a large cotton store near the railway, underwent exercise and grazed the horses by the coast. That evening Headquarters mess dined aboard the Dieppe of the Newhaven-Dieppe line, which was engaged in bringing ammunition across from Newhaven. A Squadron left at 9pm to entrain for the concentration area.
- 1st Royal Fusiliers arrive at Cambridge The 1st Royal Fusiliers arrived at Cambridge by train from Holyhead and marched across town to the camp. Crowds of locals came out to watch.
- 4th Yorks join Brigade 4th Yorks leave Newcastle upon Tyne to join their Brigade at camp in Hummersknott Park, Darlington.
- 108th Heavy Battery proceed to France 108th Heavy Battery RGA arrive in France
- Inspections 2nd Battalion - Royal Irish Regiment
Monday, August 17th, 1914 - Taisnieres
Route march under Company arrangements. General Doran inspected out billets.
- 17th Aug 1914 On the Move
- 17th Aug 1914 Inoculations
- 17th Aug 1914 On the March
- 17th Aug 1914 Route March
- 17th Aug 1914 Cleaning up
- 17th August 1914 Continued move to front
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Killed, Wounded, Missing and Prisoner Reports published this day.
This section is under construction and only available to subscribers of our Library
Want to know more?
There are:14 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved