The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
16th July 1916On this day:
- 15th July 1916 Carrying Duty
- 1/8th West Yorks in support near Leipzig Redoubt 1/8th Battalion Leeds Rifles are at Theipval on the Somme, with their HQ at Johnsons Post on the 16th July 1916. They were held in reserve but were brought up to the line in support in the area of Leipzig Redoubt.
- Attacked High Wood on the 16th July 1916. Assembled behind village of Bazentin Le Petit on 17th July when they were hit by a very heavy shrapnel bombardment. 76 men and 3 officers wounded, mostly in the legs. They were sheltering in small caves dug out of a high bank. Packed in tightly, could not pull their legs in.
- 16th Northumberlands on the march 16th Northumberlands march north from Warloy to Beauval.
- 3rd Monmouths under fire B Company of the 3rd Monmouths came under heavy shellfire while repairing an ammunition dump and lost 19 killed and wounded.
- Cutting Wire 236th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery report from
Trench Mortars wire cutting in afternoon from 1500 to 1730. At 0100 on the night of 16-17th July, the 20th London Regiment carried out a raid on enemy lines at a small salient north of Bois en Hache. The raid was supported by intense artillery fire with 2” Mortars and Stokes Mortars. Enemy retaliation was slight consisting of a few Light High Velocity shells & trench mortars. Infantry report that German front line trench was entered, dugs outs were bombed and a machine gun was destroyed. Our casualties were light. All was quiet again by 0145.
- 3rd Canadian Tunnelling Coy War Diary
Hill 60 Major Davis investigated No.6 L.P. and gave orders to load, with 1000 lbs. ammonal & tamp. Fire when ready. Division advised & camouflet fired 5.P.M. A crater was formed & smoke was observed coming from enemy lines.
Proto rescue men entered gallery 20 min: later, & reported gallery free from gas.
- 16th July 1916 Billets Hooteville
- 16th July 1916 Routine
- 16th Jul 1916 Gas Shells
- 16th Jul 1916 Mullers Excercises
- 16th Jul 1916 Reinforcements
- 16th Jul 1916 Ready to Move
- 16th Jul 1916 Preparations for Attack
- 16th Jul 1916 Reliefs Completed
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:15 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved