The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
16th February 1918On this day:
- Daily Activity 9th Btn. (North Irish Horse) the Royal Irish Fusiliers.
Effective strength: 46 Officers, 1,066 Other Ranks, 36 horses, 16 mules.
- Increase: Draft from 7/8th Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers on disbandment.
- A Company, 2nd Lieutenant W.G Greenaway, 2nd Lieutenant A Wilding MC, 2nd Lieutenant T Bremner;
- B Company, 2nd Lieutenant W.F Reid, 2nd Lieutenant D Miller;
- C Company, 2nd Lieutenant G Hardy, 2nd Lieutenant J Darling, 2nd Lieutenant J Benson;
- D Company, 2nd Lieutenant W.H Roche; Other Ranks, 213.
- Zeppelin Raids on Britain Rfa 501 attacked by itself again on 16 February. Four Giant aircraft reached England, one carrying a single 1,000 kg (2205 lb) bomb which, aimed at Victoria station, fell half a mile away on the Royal Hospital, Chelsea.
- Return to the Front Line 59th Heavy Artillery Brigade
Brigade HQ and 4 batteries left Wormhout en route for the Ypres Salient, combining at Clifford Camp for the night. During the 15 days at rest the batteries had spent the time in profitable training and recreation. The mornings were devoted to training, drill and overhaul of equipment. The afternoons and evenings being for recreation. A football inter-battery tournament had been arranged and commenced.
- FRONT LINE L1 SECTOR
Enemy shelled TUNNEL DUMPS & SUCRERIE ROAD from about 11am until 4pm with 5.9 & 8’’. Later in the day he shelled the same places with gas shells. ARLEUX LOOP also received attention.
The National Archives Reference WO95/2361/1
- 16th Feb 1918 Training
- 16th Feb 1918 On the March
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:6 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved