The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
16th February 1916On this day:
- Another Quiet Day A quiet day and the 8th London Battery destroyed the tower of 11a German Observation Point. No more Germans were seen walking towards the new crater. During the night the 16th London Battery fired 25 rounds of shrapnel at saps in M.6.b and d with the 9th London Battery firing at saps in M.15.c and d.
One section of each Battery came to its own Wagon Line as its positions are being taken over by the 1st Division.
- Military football match at St James' Park At St James' Park, Newcastle a football match is played between 133rd Heavy RGA XI and 2nd Battery RFA XI.
133rd RGA team were: Archer, Clews, Wright, Horton, Greenhaugh, Hardman, Bradford, Sharp, Medden, Peake & Price.
2nd Battery were represented by Surtees, Horne, Hall, Proudfoot, Quinn, Hussey, Porter, Hickinbottom, Rhodes, Gardiner, Jones, McEwan, Barkley, Hopkinson & Johnson.
- trench 134 pumped out by 3rd Canadian Tunnelling Coy
Noon Lt. Riley returned to 250 Co. R.E.
Shaft No3, Trench 134, pumped out, preparations made to commence shallow
War Diary Transcript
- 16th Feb 1916 7th Northumberlands into Reseve
- 16th Feb 1916 RNAS Raid
- Fifth Battle of the Isonzo The Fifth Battle of the Isonzo begins between Italy and Austro-Hungaria
- 16th Feb 1916 On the March
- 16th Feb 1916 Reliefs
- 16th Feb 1916 Reliefs
- 16th February 1916 Move to Varennes
- 16th February 1916 Lectures
- 16th February 1916
- 7th Inniskillings entrain for Southampton On the 16th February 1916, shortly after 1pm the 7th Inniskillings got the train from Bordon station reaching Southampton Docks at 4.30pm and boarded the paddle steamer Mona Queen at 5.30pm.
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:13 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Remembering those who died this day. Gnr. Thomas Forsyth. Royal Field Artillery 1st/4th Durham Howitzer Battery Read their Story. Pte. R Hopkinson. King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry 1/5th Btn.
Add a name to this list.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVIII
- All Rights Reserved