The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
15th September 1917On this day:
- 16th Northumberland Fusiliers raid enemy lines 16th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers in the Lombartzyde sector, undertake a raid on enemy raid on lines, casualties fairly heavy.
- Huts At Ruyaulcourt, Inspection Parades were held by 9th Irish Fusiliers under Company arrangements.
The Brigadier visited the Battalion Transport for whom lines are in course of construction. Hutting work was in progress under 2nd Lieutenant Bennet (Works Officer) and a works party of ten Other Ranks was working after dusk at new Company Headquarters in the line at R.3.
9th Royal Irish Fusiliers diary WO 95/2505/2
- 15th September 1917 Formation and moves
- 15th September 1917 Drill and Sports on sands
- On the Move 405 Bty 166 Bde RFA embarked for France on the Archimedes
- 15th Sep 1917 9th York & Lancs relieve 8th Buffs
- 15th Sep 1917 Change of Group
All officers and a number of NCO’s tactical exercise with a view to battalion attack scheme to be carried out Monday following.
The National Archives Reference WO95/2361/1
- 15th Sep 1917 Competition
- 15th Sep 1917 Fatigues
- 15th Sep 1917 On the Move
- 15th Sep 1917 In the Trenches
- 15th of September 1917 Early riser
- 16th Nov 1917 Change of Group
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Killed, Wounded, Missing and Prisoner Reports published this day.
This section is under construction and only available to subscribers of our Library
Want to know more?
There are:14 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved