The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
14th October 1916On this day:
- Military football match at St James' Park A military football match is played at St James' Park, Newcastle between Munition Workers XI and Tyne Garrison XI. The match was a fund raising effort for a YMCA hut. It was refereed by Major General R.A.K. Montgomery and was won five goals to nil by the Garrison XI. Their team consisted of: L.Scott (Sunderland), Sgt I.Boocock (Bradford), W.Low (NUFC), Sgt A.Puchan (Bradford), Sgt J.Scott (Bradford), J.Brennan (Man City), S.Bainbridge (Leeds City), H.A.Walden (Bradford), L/Cpl.W.E.Chesser(Lincoln City), Sgt O.Fox (Bradford) & L/Cpl. C.Duffy (Bury). Goals were scored by Chesser, Bainbridge and Fox with a hat trick, Walden also hit the bar in the first half.
The Munitions XI were: J.Lawrence, W.McCracken, J.Spink, F.Hudspeth, J.Finlay (NUFC), R.Liddell (Millwall), T.Spink (Grimsby), W Rutherford, T.Browell (Man City), E.Cooper (NUFC) & T.Hill.
- Relocations 236th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery
Spent the day at Beaucourt. Billeting parties proceeded to Talmas.
- 125th Heavy Brigade move their guns 125th Heavy Battery move up to High Wood on right.
- 2nd Btn Royal Irish Regiment join 7th Division 2nd Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment transfer 22nd Brigade, 7th Division to to 49th Brigade, 16th (Irish) Division.
- 14th October 1916 New attack scheme training
- 14th October 1916 Brigade Operations
- 14th October 1916 3rd Canadian Tunnelling Coy War Diary
- 14th Oct 1916 On the Move
- 14th Oct 1916 Training & Football
- 14th Oct 1916 Working Parties
- 14th Oct 1916 Working Party
- 14th Oct 1916 Training
- 14th Oct 1916 Training
- 14th of October 1916 Gunsmoke ceased
- 14th Oct 1916 Patrols
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:15 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Remembering those who died this day. Pte. Frank Botto. Machine Gun Corps. 18 Coy. Read their Story. Pte. W. Coxon. Durham Light Infantry Pte. David George Fairweather. Black Watch 4th Btn John Robert "Shoeingsmith Parker" Holmes. Royal Field Artillery Read their Story. Pte. John Robert Lonsdale. Northumberland Fusiliers 8th Battalion, W Coy Pte. Montague Arthur Mitchell. Hampshire Regiment 2/7th Btn. Read their Story. Cpl. Albert Wier. Royal Warwickshire Regiment 6th Btn. Read their Story. Pte. James Edward Wood. East Lancashire Regiment 7th Service Battalion Read their Story. Pte. James Edward Wood. East Lancashire Regiment 7th Battalion Read their Story.
Add a name to this list.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved