The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
14th May 1915On this day:
- 3rd Monmouths on the move What was left of the 3rd battalion Monmouthshire Regiment was moved to the village of Winnezeele in France for a period of rest and reorganisation.
- 6th London Brigade RFA in Action 15th London Battery fired six rounds at ‘K’ works and seven rounds on communication house in Rue D’Ouvert, and at 0615 fired twenty three rounds at electric wire in ‘K’ works, after which at 0730, twenty two rounds were fired at the Rue Du Marais. Later in the evening, from 1730 to 1910, forty five rounds were fired at the Rue Du Marais and Rue D’Ouvert. Finally at 2150, 2230, 2310 and 2355 burst of four rounds were fired at the enemy's second line trenches.
The 16th London Battery, fired one hundred and eighteen rounds during the day, of which one hundred and twelve rounds were fired at the north end of the Rue D’Ouvert.
- The "Second Battle of Ypres". 1st Battalion fighting at Sanctuary Wood, Zillebeke, Belgium May 1915. 1st Battalion fighting at Sanctuary Wood, Zillebeke, Belgium.
- 14th May 1915 9th Lancers Relieved
- 14th May 1915 9th Lancers Report of Action
- Commission interview Staff Sgt. Clenshaw 19th Field Ambulance was interviewed by the GOC 6th Divison with regard to his application for a commission in the ASC.
War diary RAMC 19th Field Ambulance, Erquinghem-Lys
- 1st Bn Herts billets at Le Touret 14 to 17-5-1915. Moved into billets at Le Touret.
War Diary of the 1st Battalion Hertfordshire Regiment
- 14th May 1915 Intense fighting
- 14th May 1915 7th Northumberlands into Trenches
- 14th May 1915 5th Lincs Relieved by 4th Leics
- 14th May 1915 In the Trenches
- 14th May 1915 In Reserve
- 14th May 1915 Heavy Rain
- 14th May 1915 On the March
- 14th May 1915 Training
- 14th May 1915 Hard Fighting
- 14th of May 1915 On the March
- 14th of May 1915 Thanks from Cavalry
- 14th of May 1915 149th to 4th Division
- 14th of May 1915 Working Parties
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:20 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved