The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
14th July 1916On this day:
- 16th Northumberlands consolidate points. 16th Northumberlands mount an attack to consolidate points 45 and 63 at Ovillers-la-Boisselle. At night they are relieved by the 2nd Battalion Manchester Regiment, the Northumberlands go into billets at Bouzincourt.
- Wire Cutting 236th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery at
Trench Mortars continue wire cutting covered by fire from 18 pounders.
At 1600 enemy retaliated for our wire cutting on Straight - Huntrench and Boshwalk. Our artillery retaliated strongly and the enemy ceased firing.
- 125th Heavy RGA at Mametz wood. 125th Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery are at Mametz Bottom wood
- 30 men of 2nd Northumberland report sick At 6.30pm on 14th July 1916, 30 other ranks from 2nd Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers were admitted to 85 Field Ambulance, Bozista, sick.
- 3rd Canadian Tunnelling Coy War Diary
Hill 60 Major Davis investigated noises & decided on loading in 3 places, not to tamp until further investigation.
Listening carefully carried out as arranged. Could hear plainly German Listeners walking in his gallery, from No.6 L.P. 16th Battalion relieved 15th Battalion on left, and 13th Battalion relieved 14th Battalion on right.
- 14th July 1916 Standby at half hours notice all day
- 14th July 1916 In Billets
- 14th Jul 1916 26th Brigade Attack
- 14th Jul 1916 Favourable News
- 14th July 1916 Squadron Reforms
- 14th Jul 1916 Sniping
- 14th Jul 1916 Gun Drill
- 14th Jul 1916 Bought With Blood
- 14th Jul 1916 Trench Raid
- 14th Jul 1916 Under Shellfire
- 14th Jul 1916 Into Support
- 14th Jul 1916 Composite Battalion
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:17 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved