The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
13th January 1915On this day:
- Two Companies of 18th DLI depart Hartlepool. The two companies of the 18th DLI detatched to Hartlepool for the coastal alert, rejoined the rest of the Battalion at Cocken Hall. They were given a cheery fair well by the people of the town at Hartlepool railway station and were met by the battalion band at Leamside station who played them back to the camp.
- 13th Jan 1915 Ship Sunk
- U-Boat Index - WW1 SM U-31
Type U 31
Shipyard Germaniawerft, Kiel (Werk 191)
Ordered 29 Mar 1912
Laid down 12 Oct 1912
Launched 7 Jan 1914
Commissioned 18 Sep 1914.
1 Aug 1914 - 13 Jan 1915 Oblt. Siegfried Wachendorff
Career 1 patrols.
start date unknown - 13 Jan 1915 IV Flotilla
Successes No successes.
Fate 13 Jan 1915 - Final fate unknown. Possibly mined off the East coast of the UK. 31 dead (all hands lost).
There was a wartime rumour that the British had found this boat on the surface with the all the crew dead (from gas poisoning) and then towed the boat to a British base. This rumour is not true.
There was another U 31 in World War Two.
That boat was launched from its shipyard on 25 Sep 1936 and commissioned into the Kriegsmarine on 28 Dec 1936.
- Brig Gen Bowles visist Redmires Camp Brigadier General Bowles visits Redmires Camp and observed the men of the Sheffield City Battalion undertaking musketry practice and simulated attacks.
- 13th Jan 1915 2nd Queens on the move
- 13th Jan 1915 Tricky Work
- 13th Jan 1915 British Bull dogs
- 13th Jan 1915 Mud and Water
- 13th Jan 1915 Life Under Fire
- 13th Jan 1915 Trench Work
- 13th Jan 1915 Reinforcements
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:11 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved