The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
12th November 1914On this day:
- Lord Roberts inspects Indian Division Field Marshall Lord Roberts inspects the Indian Division Staff at Hinges then drove to visit the HQ's of the Meerut Division, the Indian Cavalry and the Lahore Division.
Holts Battlefield Guide
- Ongoing Action E Battery 3rd Brigade RHA
With 1st Cavalry Division - La Hutte.
In action all day and night but our area very quiet. A good deal of fighting on both flanks.
- 3rd Dragoon Guars at Zillebeke On the 12th November the 3rd Dragoons moved up again from the bivouac near Halte in support of Lord Cavanís trenches about a mile due east of Zillebeke, and at 5:00pm went into other trenches about a mile south-east of the village. That night passed quietly. Although an attack was expected at 4:30am, nothing happened till 8:20, when the regiment was subjected to some very heavy shrapnel and rifle fire.
When relieved by the Blues at 6:30pm the Regiment had sustained the following casualties: Lieut Talbot, 5 NCOs and men killed and 15 NCOs and men wounded. Lieut Talbot had been previously wounded, when, sitting with his back to the parapet with four men, all five were killed by concussion from a shell which landed nearby.
Extract from ?History of the 3rd (Prince of Wales?s) Dragoon Guards 1914-1918? by Captain H P Holt
- 12th Nov 1914 1st East Lancs under fire
- 12th Nov 1914 A Rough Time
- 12th Nov 1914 13th Londons on the March
- 12th Nov 1914 Entrenching
- 12th Nov 1914 Holding the Line
- 12th Nov 1914 In Action
- 12th Nov 1914 Machine Guns Active
- 12th Nov 1914 Tales from the Front
- 12th November 1914 Ongoing shelling and sniping
- 12th Nov 1914 Enemy Advance
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:13 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved