The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
12th July 1917On this day:
- 16th Northumberland Fusiliers relieved by 5/6th Royal Scots On the west bank of the Yser canal, the 16th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers were relieved by the 5/6 Btn Royal Scots. The Northumberlands withdraws to Nieuport under orders to man the defences in case of need. The War Diary records: "C coy moved forward, but came under heavy machine gun and rifle fire from the left which inflicted heavy losses and prevented further advance. As they did not reach the line held by D coy the attack by the latter coy could not be carried out. Both C coy officers advancing with the attack, 2/Lt N.R. Futers and 2/Lt T.V. Wheeldon, were wounded." At night the 1st Dorsets take the Northumberland’s place in Nieuport and they withdraw to Ribaillet camp.
- 12th July 1917 Relocation
- 12th Heavy Battery in action 12th Heavy Battery, RGA were in action on the 12th of July 1917 at Ypres.
- 12th July 1917 Hotchkiss Courses and Working Party Activity
- ROCLINCOURT WEST CAMP
- 12th Jul 1917 Rifle Practice
- 12th Jul 1917 Training
- 12th Jul 1917 Training
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:8 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Remembering those who died this day. Pte. William Benham. Royal Fusiliers 1st/3rd Btn. Read their Story. L/Cpl. Douglas Blewett "Brum" Brumley. 46th Btn. Read their Story. 2nd Lt. Guy S. Ellis. 57th Squadron Read their Story. Rfm. W. Garrett. London Regiment 1/18th Btn. Rfm. C. E. Harrison. London Regiment 1/18th Btn. Rflmn. Alfred Joseph Palmer. King's Royal Rifle Corps 10th Btn. James Stewart. Royal Garrison Artillery 12th Heavy Battery Read their Story.
Add a name to this list.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved