The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
12th February 1916On this day:
- Daily Battery Activity 236th London Brigade 236th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery report, very quiet day. Batteries fired very little during day. During the night the 15th London Battery fired on a new trench and down Lens Road. The 8th London Battery fired on trenches & down road at M.18.a.
- 5th Loyals suffer casualties While waiting in the village of Bellacourt to relieve the French in their trenches a german shell fell among the british troops of the 5th Loyal North Lancashires, killing five men and wounding eleven others.
- 12th February 1916 9th Lancers at HQ Enquin
- Sounds of Mining heard by 3rd Canadian Tunnelling Coy Sounds of Mining reported by Infantry trench 134, Petite Douve. U.8.a.5.7.
Lorry 8576 returned to shops for repairs.
War Diary Transcript
- 12th February 1916 Enemy bombardment
- 12th Feb 1916 7th Northumberlands into Trenches
- 12th Feb 1916 Longing for Home
- 12th Feb 1916 Battle of Salaita Hill
- 12th Feb 1916 Artillery Bombardment
- 12th Feb 1916 Reliefs Completed
- 12th Feb 1916 On the March
- 12th Feb 1916 Bombardment
- 12th February 1916 Conference of C.O`s
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:13 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved