The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
12th August 1915On this day:
- HMS Zinnia was a Flower-class, Azalea-type, minesweeping sloop. She was built by Swan Hunter and launched on 12th August 1915. She served through the War, and was sold to Belgium on 19th April 1920.
- Vacancies to be filled 6th County of London Brigade RFA report their vacancies in non-commissioned ranks, caused by death or sickness are being filled by promotion to temporary-acting-rank.
- 12th August 1915 9th Lancers train
- Zeppelin Raids on Britain The four Zeppelin raid was repeated on the night of the 12th/13th August.
Two of the Zeppelins again had to turn back, but LZ 40 (L 10) and another Zeppelin continued. LZ 40 was able to bomb Harwich, destroying two houses. One bomb fell in the middle of a street in a crowd staring at the Zeppelin. When it exploded it killed men, eleven women and nine children. Though the anti-aircraft guns fired at them, they were able to get away. The other Zeppelin, found no target and was barely able to make it home due to a violent storm over the North Sea.
- 12th Aug 1915 Bring a Corksrew
- 12th Aug 1915 No Swank Permitted
- 12th Aug 1915 Five Yards from the Enemy
- 12th Aug 1915 Submarines Menace
- 12th Aug 1915 Austrian submarine U-3 Sunk
- 12th Aug 1915 Aerial Torpedo sinks Ship
- 12th Aug 1915 10th Essex in Billets
- 12th Aug 1915 Short of Very Lights
- 12th Aug 1915 Attack Made
- 12th Aug 1915 Parades
- 12th August 1915
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:15 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved