The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
12th August 1914On this day:
- 1st Kings Liverpool and 2nd South Staffords embark for France The 1st Battalion, King’s Liverpool Regiment and the 2nd Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment, embarked onboard the SS. Cawdor Castle at Southampton and set sail for Le Harve at 8:00 pm.
- New Camp to be built at Catterick An order is issued by the War Office to construct a new army camp at Catterick in North Yorkshire, on a site recommended by Robert Baden-Powell. Initially named Richmond Camp, 2,000 huts are planned to accommodate two complete divisions, around 40,000 men. The camp was constructed by the Henry Boot Company in 1915.
- 1st KRRC proceed to France 1st Battalion Kings Royal Rifle Corps cross to France.
- U-Boat U-13 sunk SM U-13 is lost off Heligoland Bight, victim of a mine or accident. 25 dead (all hands lost). A type U 13 she had been built at the Shipyard Kaiserliche Werft, Danzig (Werk 8) Ordered 23 Feb 1909 and launched 16 Dec 1910 she was commissioned 25 Apr 1912. She was commanded by Hans Artur Graf von Schweinitz und Krain and sailed with II Flotilla.
- Departure from Devonport 2nd Battalion - Royal Irish Regiment
Wednesday, August 12th, 1914 - 2245 Devonport.
A and B Companies, under command of Lt.Col. St.J. A. Cox, left barracks and entrained, destination unknown.
- 12th Aug 1914 Messaged from the King
- 12th Aug 1914 On the Move
- 12th Aug 1914 Training
- 12th Aug 1914 Review
- 12th Aug 1914 Inspection
- 12th Aug 1915 King and country come first
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Killed, Wounded, Missing and Prisoner Reports published this day.
This section is under construction and only available to subscribers of our Library
Want to know more?
There are:11 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved