The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
11th March 1915On this day:
- 11th March 1915 Officer Appointments
- 1st Battalion Royal Scots Belgium & France 1914 - 1915. 1st Battalion Royal Scots in Ypres, Belgium.
- 11th March 1915 9th Lancers Standing to.
- action at L'Epinette 'A' Bearer subdivision under Lt. Davidson "standing to" tonight. Went out to Houplines to rendezvous at corner of Rue de l'Egalité. The action of L'Epinette took place in early hours of 12th March, and with the aid of a motor ambulance wagon temporarily attached from 6th Division, HQ some 40 wounded of the North Staffordshire Regiment were collected - the enterprise was successful, and the village occupied.
War Diary 19th Field Ambulance RAMC, Armentières
- Further moves E Battery 3rd Brigade RHA
with 5th Cavalry Brigade near La Gorgue.
Saddled up early - at 1600 moved into billet and bivouacs near La Gorgue.
Second Lieutenant DHM Carberry rejoined 27th Division and Lieutenant Lund rejoined from 27th Division.
- HMS Bayano lost On March 11th 1915 HMS Byaano, under command of Cdr. H.C. Carr was on her way to Liverpool to coal when she was intercepted ten miles NW by W of Corsewall Point by submarine U-27, commanded by Lt. Cdr. Wegener.
The attack took place at 5.15am.
The Bayano sank very rapidly and only four officers and 22 ratings were saved.
Fourteen officers including Cdr. Carr and 181 ratings were killed
The SS Castlereagh (Capt. McGarrick) arrived on the scene shortly after but although she saw much wreckage and many dead bodies she was chased away by the submarine and prevented from making a search.
- 11th Mar 1915 Defence adjusted
- 11th March 1915 Day 2 - Battle of Neuve Chapell
- 11th Mar 1915 4th Camerons in Action
- 11th Mar 1915 5th Lincs on the March
- 11th Mar 1915 13th Londons in Action
- 11th Mar 1915 Taking a Message
- 11th Mar 1915 Intense Cold
- 11th Mar 1915 In Reserve
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Killed, Wounded, Missing and Prisoner Reports published this day.
This section is under construction and only available to subscribers of our Library
Want to know more?
There are:14 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved