The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
11th July 1915On this day:
- 2nd Royal Fusiliers sail from Dover The 2nd Battalion Royal Fusilers sailed from Dover for Devonport enroute to the Dardanelles.
- 4th Duke of Wellingtons deposit Colours in Parish Church The 4th Battalion Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment deposit their colours at the parish church of of Saint John the Baptist in Halifax for safe keeping.
- 6th London Brigade RFA Wagons Move Back The Wagon Lines of each Battery, 6th London Brigade RFA which up to date had been very close to the Battery positions, were moved to Drovin, about 4 miles further back.
The 15th London Battery this afternoon fired 33 rounds in retaliation on a German forward trench.
The 16th London Battery fired 8 rounds in retaliation.
The 17th Lon Battery fired several rounds in retaliation on G.34.c.7.9 and subsequently registered a hostile gun emplacement in 29.B.
- 11th July 1915 Church Parade
- Still planning Move Accompanied Assstant Director of Medical Services 27th Division again this afternoon. Farm at B20d4.2 now occupied by Artillery – therefore saw Farm at B26b6.8 with good fields for encampment and horse lines, and also farm at B20c2.6 with large field suitable for two sections of two Field Ambulances men, horses and vehicles. Nothing definite settled, but if Divisional Rest Station moves further back to an encampment, this Field Ambulance would possibly move into the factory at Bac St Maur at present in use as Divisional Rest Station.
- 1st Bn Herts hold A2 sector The Battalion held A2 sector till the 13th, the 2 companies in reserve relieving the 2 companies in the trenches every 48 hours.
- 11th Jul 1915 Training and Working Parties
- 11th Jul 1915 Working Parties
- 11th Jul 1915 Preparations
- 11th Jul 1915 On the Move
- 11th Jul 1915 Recce
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:11 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved