The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
11th January 1916On this day:
- Retaliation Enemy shelled our trenches all day 6th London Brigade RFA retaliated and in the majority of cases enemy ceased firing. Enemy shelled Loos from 1400 to 1630 at frequent intervals. OC. 2nd London Battery reports that generally speaking his retaliation did not stop their shelling Loos.
- SS Andania arrives Egypt The SS Andania berthed at Port Said, Egypt, the 13th Battalion Yorks and Lancs Regt are amongst her passengers.
- Further Action E Battery 3rd Brigade RHA
11th Jan to 14th Jan - A good deal of registration. Fired on working parties near Caistres with J Battery RHA.
15th Jan - Fired at working parties near Fat Bosch Tree, German 1st line. A few German shell fell near Annequin church.
16th to 26th Jan - Nothing of importance happened, the ordinary amount of registration and firing at working parties took place.
27th Jan - The Kaisers birthday, nothing much during the day but we shelled all the roads between Auchey and Haines at odd intervals between 1800 and 0600 the next morning. About 6 rounds only were sent back at the battery of 12th Division in action on the left of D RHA which did no damage.
- 11th Jan 1916 7th Northumberlands into Trenches
- 11th Jan 1916 Leave Over
- 11th Jan 1916 Knee Deep in Mud
- 11th Jan 1916 Mud Larks
- 11th Jan 1916 Huge Explosion
- 11th Jan 1916 Inspection
- 11th Jan 1916 Attachment
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:10 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved