The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
11th April 1917On this day:
- 16th Northumberland Fusiliers relieved The 16th Northumberlands are relieved at Savy Wood and move to Germaine for two days.
- St Quentin attacked The French attack St Quentin
- Relocations 236th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery report
first sections marched to Winnezeeze and Ouderzeele rest billets.
Remaining sections went out of action during the night and OC. Group handed over defence of front to OC. 102 Brigade RFA, 23rd Division. A, B, C, D Batteries 102 Brigade took over Battery positions in order A, B, C, D from Batteries of 236th Brigade. 104 Army Field Artillery Brigade took over all Wagon Lines.
- 4th Northumberlands march to Ronville Caves At Wanquetin C and D Coys 4th Northumberland Fusiliers undertook bayonet training and a short march. Snow began to fall at 3.30pm. At 6pm they
paraded at the camp then marched through the snow storm to Ronville Caves via Warlus, Dainville and Arras, at midnight.
- U-Boat Index - WW1 SM U-96
Type U 93
Shipyard Germaniawerft, Kiel (Werk 260)
Ordered 15 Sep 1915
Laid down 12 Jan 1916
Launched 15 Feb 1917
Commissioned 11 Apr 1917
11 Apr 1917 - 31 Aug 1918 Heinrich Jeß
Career 9 patrols.
24 May 1917 - 11 Nov 1918 IV Flotilla
Successes 31 ships sunk with a total of 95,253 tons.
3 ships damaged with a total of 16,220 tons.
- 2 Jun 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Shamrock 170 br
- 2 Jun 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß St. Bernard 186 br
- 8 Jun 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Orator 3,563 br
- 9 Jun 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Baron Cawdor 4,316 br
- 14 Jul 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Emanuel 203 da
- 21 Jul 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Paddington 5,084 br
- 23 Jul 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Radioleine (damaged) 4,029 fr
- 29 Jul 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Anitra 593 nw
- 1 Oct 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Carrabin 2,739 br
- 3 Oct 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Hurst 4,718 br
- 4 Oct 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Rupee 39 br
- 4 Oct 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Young Clifford 47 br
- 6 Oct 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Bedale 2,116 br
- 8 Oct 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Greldon 3,322 br
- 8 Oct 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Memphian 6,305 br
- 9 Oct 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Champagne 5,360 br
- 9 Oct 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Peshawur 7,634 br
- 23 Nov 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß La Blanca 7,479 br
- 24 Nov 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Sabia 2,807 br
- 26 Nov 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Drot 2,923 nw
- 28 Nov 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Agenoria (damaged) 2,977 br
- 28 Nov 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Apapa 7,832 br
- 30 Nov 1917 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Derbent 3,178 br
- 20 Mar 1918 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Custodian (damaged) 9,214 br
- 25 Mar 1918 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Destro 859 br
- 28 Mar 1918 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Inkosi 3,661 br
- 30 Mar 1918 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Geraldine 61 br
- 30 Mar 1918 U 96 Heinrich Jeß St. Michan 43 br
- 31 Mar 1918 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Conargo 4,312 br
- 27 May 1918 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Michiel Taal Johsz 86 nl
- 5 Jun 1918 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Polwell 2,013 br
- 9 Jun 1918 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Vandalia 7,333 br
- 4 Aug 1918 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Reinhard 239 ru
- 7 Aug 1918 U 96 Heinrich Jeß Highland Harris 6,032 br
Fate 20 Nov 1918 - Surrendered. Broken up at Bo'ness in 1919-20.
There was another U 96 in World War Two.
That boat was launched from its shipyard on 1 Aug 1940 and commissioned into the Kriegsmarine on 14 Sep 1940.
- 11th April 1917 Supportin action and casualty clearance
- 11th April 1917 Training and standby
- 11th Apr 1917 Reports Good
- 11th Apr 1917 Village Taken
- 11th Apr 1917 Servere Fighting
- 11th Apr 1917 On the Move
- 11th Apr 1917 Casualties
- 11th April 1917
- 11th April 1917 Courts Martial
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:14 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved