The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
11th April 1915On this day:
- Brigade Positions 6th London Brigade RFA 6th County of London Brigade RFA report the guns and wagons and all the remainder of the Brigade took up their positions at dusk. Wagon lines for both Batteries are at Gerre Chateau.
- Gloucestershire Hussars embark for Gallipoli April 1915 the Gloucestershire Hussars were ordered to overseas service, but instead of France they were going to Gallipoli. On April 11th they embarked on the 'Saturnia' and 'Minneapolis' under command of Lieut-Colonel W.H.Playne. The unit strength was:
H.Q.: 10 Officers, 107 Other Ranks, 88 horses, 28 mules, and 8 vehicles.
Major A.J.Palmer, 7 Officers, 134 O.R., 133 horses, 14 mules, 3 vehicles.
Major H.F.Clifford, 6 Officers, 134 O.R., 131 horses, 14 mules, 3 vehicles.
Major R.M.Yorke, 4 Officers, 135 O.R., 133 horses, 14 mules, 3 vehicles.
- 1st Battalion Royal Scots Belgium & France 1914 - 1915. 1st Battalion Royal Scots in Ypres, Belgium.
- 11th April 1915 9th Lancers Church Parade
- Motor ambulance arrives A motor ambulance wagon sent by ADMS* 6th Division arrived for temporary duty with this Field Ambulance.
* Assistant Director of Medical Services
- 11th Apr 1915 Trench Work
- 11th Apr 1915 Church Parade
- 11th Apr 1915 Route March & Bomb Throwing
- 11th Apr 1915 Learning the Trades
- 11th Apr 1915 Aircraft Active
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:10 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved