The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
8th September 1917On this day:
- 8th September 1917 Return to Western Front
- Temp commander takes over 16th Northumberland Fusiliers Following a shell burst on Battalion HQ sleeping quarters, which injured the commanding officer, Capt Lindsay (attached Bde staff) takes over command of the 16th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers temporarily.
- Quiet 9th Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers spend a very quiet day at Havrincourt Wood. There was little trench mortar or machine gun fire during the day.
A German called across to our men "Jock, have you been here before"? He got no reply however.
2nd Lieutenant Partridge and four men went out on a patrol. They did not come into contact with enemy.
Wire entanglements and deepening of the communication trench on Yorkshire Bank continued.
9th Royal Irish Fusiliers diary WO 95/2505/2
- Inspections 9th Queens Royal Lancers
8th Sep - HQ Bernieulles - Inspection of kits, arms, saddlery and horses by Squadrons.
- 8th Sep 1917 Change of Group
8th - 11th September. Training at BRAY and round about: chief objective of training during this period was the instruction of leaders, this was carried out very largely by means of tactical exercises without troops: bayonet fighting, gas defences & applied musketry training also specially worked at.
The National Archives Reference WO95/2361/1
- 8th Sep 1917 Kit Inspection
- 8th Sep 1917 Artillery Active
- 8th Sep 1917 Bravery Recognised
- 8th Sep 1917 Reliefs
- 8th Sep 1917 Shelling
- 8th of September 1917 Working hard
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Killed, Wounded, Missing and Prisoner Reports published this day.
This section is under construction and only available to subscribers of our Library
Want to know more?
There are:12 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved