The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
8th October 1917On this day:
- 8th Oct 1917 On the March
- Daily Activity 9th Btn. (North Irish Horse) the Royal Irish Fusiliers.
Havrincourt Wood K.31.c.0.0.
Corps have ordered all Battalions to be continually on the offensive while holding the line. Consequently the Battalion will organize patrols nightly (weather permitting) and raids will be carried out at fixed periods. Owing to very bad weather no patrols went out on night of 7/8. Very quiet in the line, afternoon and night very wet and the men got a special issue of rum.
- SS Memphian lost Seven miles East/North-East of the Arklow light vessel, the Memphian was torpedoed by U-boat 96 captained by Kapitanleutenant Heinrich Jeb. Thirty-two crew members were lost. Wreckage and bodies washed up along the Cambrian coast. A few were identified but most lie in graves marked as unknown at the locations where they were found, their names recorded as being lost at sea on the Tower Hill Memorial, London.
- 8th Oct 1917 Lecture for Officers
- 8th Oct 1917 On the Move
- ECURIE CAMP
A Co relieved C Co in LONG WOOD.
The National Archives Reference WO95/2361/1
- 8th Oct 1917 Out of Bed
- 8th Oct 1917 Training and Sports
- 8th Oct 1917 On the Move
- 8th Oct 1917 Into Dugouts
- 8th of October 1917 Kit Inspections
- 8th of October 1917 Duty runner
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Killed, Wounded, Missing and Prisoner Reports published this day.
This section is under construction and only available to subscribers of our Library
Want to know more?
There are:12 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved