The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
8th January 1916On this day:
- Relocations Lowe Group (6th & 1st London Brigades RFA) is now in position at Les Brebis. The 15th and 16th London Batteries are on the Northern side of Fosse 7 and Batteries of the 1st London Brigade are on the south side of Fosse 7. The 17th London Battery is in Maroc. The 16th & 17th London Batteries each have one gun detached (but near the battery position) in such a position so as to be able to enfilade hostile trenches. Lowe Group covers the front of the 141st Inf Brigade.
The day was chiefly spent in registering. The 17th London Battery position was shelled, but no damage was done.
- Ship Launch HMS Godetia was a Arabis-class sloop of the Royal Navy Fishery Protection Squadron. She was launched in 1916, having a displacement of 1350 tons, and was broken up in 1937.
The Arabis class was the third class of minesweeping sloops and the largest building project completed under the Emergency War Programme for the Royal Navy in World War I. The ships were employed in addition to their minesweeping ability as patrol vessels, tugs, and personnel and cargo transports. The design for the Arabis class was made at the end of 1914. All 36 British vessels were ordered in July 1915, and were built in three batches, averaging 12 vessels. The design was highly appealing, as most shipyards were capable of building them, and construction could be completed in five months.
- 8th Jan 1916 Last Troops Evacuated
- 8th Jan 1916 Attack Made by Yeomanry
- 8th Jan 1916 In the Trenches
- 8th Jan 1916 Hot Machine Guns
- 8th Jan 1916 A Aense of Relief
- 8th Jan 1916 Officials Drowned
- 8th Jan 1916 Artillery Bombardment
- 8th Jan 1916 Reliefs
- 8th Jan 1916 On the Move
- 8th Jan 1916 On the Move
- 8th Jan 1916 In Camp
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:13 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved