The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
8th April 1918On this day:
- Daily Activity 9th Btn. (North Irish Horse) the Royal Irish Fusiliers.
- Effective strength: 22 Officers, 728 Other Ranks, 37 horses, 22 mules.
- Ration strength: 16 Officers, 547 Other Ranks, 41 horses, 22 mules.
- 4th South Staffords under fire Taken from the 4th battalion South Staffords diary: At Ploegstreet Wood. - During the afternoon and evening the enemy artillery registered over the whole of the Battalion Area and back area.
- Further enemy shelling 59th Heavy Artillery Brigade
April 8th & 9th 30th SB & 37th SB shelled with HV (?) gun.
Note: This refers to a High Velocity gun and usually denotes the German 77mm Gun which fired its shell at a much higher velocity than the larger 4.2(105mm) and 5.9 (150mm) inch guns. The 77mm shells traveled faster than the speed of sound and were called whizz-bangs by British troops as they heard the whizz of the shell before the report of it being fired. They were much feared as there was little or no warning of their approach.
- Training 6th Btn West Riding Regiment are at Otago Camp, engaged in training.
- 8th Apr 1918 On the Move
Coy training. Musketry. Party of 400 sent to work on trenches near HAUTEAVESNES.
- 8th Apr 1918 Preparing for Reliefs
- 8th Apr 1918 Quiet
- 8th Apr 1918 Gas Shells
- 8th Apr 1918 Gas Cases
- 8th Apr 1918 Reliefs Commence
- 8th Apr 1918 Working Parties
- 8th Apr 1918 Defence Work
- 8th Apr 1918 Into Billets
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:14 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved