The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
7th August 1914On this day:
- The Battle of Liege The German 14th Brigade broke through the defenses between the forts of Liege and entered the city, forcing the Belgian garrison to surrender. The forts continued to hold, halting further progress, though they were now exposed to attack from behind. the German's brought up a 420mm Siege Howitzer and Austrian built 305mm mortars. The forts had not been constructed to withstand such heavy artillery and were pounded into submission with Fort Boncelles being the last to fall on the 16th of August.
- Lord Kitchener begins recruiting campaign Lord Kitchener, the war minister, began his recruiting campaign by calling for men aged between 19 and 30 to form new Battalions to boost the British Army which numbered 247,432 regular troops.
- 1st West Yorks move to Scotland 1st Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment leave their base at Lichfield and move to Dunfermline to assist in the defence of the River Clyde.
- 3rd West Yorks man the Tyne Garrison 3rd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment moved from their base in York to Whitley Bay as part of the Tyne Garrison.
- 2nd West Surrey's move cancelled 10.30 A.M. Order re move to Cape Town cancelled. Orders received for battalion to hold itself in readiness to proceed to England at an early date.
2nd Bn Queens West Surrey Regt War Diary
- Reservists to unit 2nd Battalion - Royal Irish Regiment
Friday, August 7th, 1914 - Devonport
First batch of reservists, 300 odd arrived from Depot.
Lt. MCC Harrison as Brigade Billeting Officer left for Aldershot.
- 7th Aug 1914 Volunteers Wanted
- 7th Aug 1914 Reorganisation
- 7th Aug 1914 Mobilization
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:9 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVIII
- All Rights Reserved