The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
6th May 1915On this day:
- Daily Battery Activity 6th London Brigade RFA 15th London Battery fired in the early morning (0415 - 0645). At 0640 16th London Battery fired thirteen rounds between J7 and ‘S’ Bend. Attack by Germans expected. Fifty rounds per gun sent to Batteries to be dumped.
- The "Second Battle of Ypres". 1st Battalion fighting at Sanctuary Wood, Zillebeke, Belgium 1915. 1st Battalion at Vlammertinghe, Belgium
Bathing arranged for in pond adjoining a farm.
As the men had been without a bath for at least 28 days, and lacking a change of underclothes for six weeks, this was greatly appreciated.
By night 100 men employed as carrying party.
- Merrie Islington sunk by U9 British Merchant vessel Merrie Islington is sunk by submarine U-9.
- 6th May 1915 9th Lancers working party
- 8th Manchesters land on Gallipoli The 8th Battalion Manchester Regiment land on Gallipoli.
- Inspections Some shelling of L'Armée and Armentières early this morning, two wounded admitted to 19th Field Ambulance, Erquinghem-Lys
GOC 6th Division inspected the buildings used as hospitals and billets by 19th Field Ambulance and also the transport lines and expressed himself as most pleased with the conditions.
1st weekly inspection of Motor Vehicles by Lt. Tyler 19th Brigade Supply Column. All repairs to motor vehicles of 19th FA will be undertaken by that Supply Column.
- Draft arrives at 1st Bn Herts A draft of 2 Officers and 20 men arrived from England, also 8 men from Rouen.
- Shelling on Frezenberg Ridge On May 6th, there was shelling, but less severe than on the 5th, and no attempt at an attack by the enemy.
- 6th May 1915 Wounded arrive Malta
- 6th May 1915 5th Lincs Relieved by 4th Leics
- 6th May 1915 Hot Day
- 6th May 1915 Route March
- 6th May 1915 On the March
- 6th May 1915 In Action
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:14 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved