The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
6th August 1915On this day:
- 1st Essex and 88th Brigade go over top at Cape Helles The 1st Essex and 88th Brigade went over the top at Calle Helles, supported by the 86th Brigade including the 2nd Royal Fusilers. They were heavily repulsed and forced to retire.
- Training 6th County of London Brigade RFA report
Major P.J. Clifton, sick, proceeded to hospital. The race course, on Hesdigneul Common, is at the disposal of Batteries of this Brigade for two days per week.
- Serbino sunk by U9 British Merchant vessel Serbino is sunk by submarine U-9.
- 6th August 1915 9th Lancers train
- 4 Platoons of 10th Rifles attached 1st Cameronians War Diary of the 1st Battalion, Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) 2nd Division, records: Location, in trenches near Laventie. 4 platoons 10/RB attached, 1 RB wounded.
- 9th West Yorks at Sulva Bay 9th West Yorks land at Suvla Bay
- British attack The Vineyard The Battle of Krithia Vineyard was fought during the Gallipoli Campaign from the 6th to 13th of August 1915. It was originally intended as a minor British action at Helles on the Gallipoli peninsula to divert attention from the imminent launch of the August Offensive, but instead, the British commander, Brigadier General H.E. Street, mounted a futile and bloody series of attacks that in the end gained a small patch of ground known as "The Vineyard".
- Relocation E Battery 3rd Brigade RHA
Started at 0730 on change of billets and went into bivouac and billets in a farm 1/2 mile NW of Blaringhem - in at 1000 - about 10 miles.
7th to 14th August - in reserve near Blaringhem.
8th August - Lt Neville rejoined from 36th Trench Howitzer Battery.
14th August - Lt WH O'Keefe attached for instruction.
- 6th Aug 1915 Force Advances
- 6th Aug 1915 Trawlers sunk
- 6th Aug 1915 Four Smacks Sunk
- 6th Aug 1915 Ship Torpedoed
- 6th Aug 1915 Troops Land
- 6th Aug 1915 Working Parties
- 6th Aug 1915 Drill and Working Parties
- 6th Aug 1915 Digging In
- 6th Aug 1915 Preparations for Attack
- 6th Aug 1915 Reliefs Completed
- 6th Aug 1915 Singing in the Trenches
- 6th Aug 1915 In the Trenches
- 6th August 1915
- 6th Aug 1915 Instruction
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:22 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved