The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
5th June 1917On this day:
- Patrol Raids 236th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery fired three searching barrages by 18 pounder Batteries during the day and a practice barrage carried out at 1500. Lt Colonel A.C. Love DSO OC ‘C’ Group went up as Senior Liaison Officer with 142 Infantry Brigade at the Bluff.
Patrol raids were carried out during the night and Bedford House was again shelled.
- Gotha Daylight Raids Gotha daylight raid was diverted to Sheerness, bombs damaged the Criterion Theatre.
- 5th June 1917 Routine
- 5th Jun 1917 Notts munition workers protest
- 5th Jun 1917 Counter Battery Fire
- Working Parties On the 5th and 6th June, 18th DLI continued work as on previous days, weather continued fine.
- 5th Jun 1917 Ammunition Train Blown up
- 5th Jun 1917 In Action
- 5th Jun 1917 Working Parties
- 5th Jun 1917 On the March
- 5th Jun 1917 Missing
- 5th Jun 1917 Entanglements
- 5th of June 1917 Increased Enemy Activity
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:13 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Remembering those who died this day. L/Cpl. Arthur Stanley Butzbach. Rifle Brigade 13th Btn, C Coy. Read their Story. Pte. Robert Gort Croucher. London Regiment 1/19th Btn. L/Cpl. James Finnigan. Royal Scots Regiment 7th Btn. Read their Story. Pte. Ernest Crawford Hadden. Northumberland Fusiliers 20th (Tyneside Scottish) Btn. Read their Story. Sgt. David Orr. Northumberland Fusiliers 20th Battalion (1st Tyneside Scottish) Read their Story. Cpl. Sydney John Pengelly. Royal Field Artillery "D" Battery, 75th Brigade Read their Story. Pte. Thomas Preston. Northumberland Fusiliers 22nd (Tyneside Scottish) Battalion Read their Story. Pte. George Reay. Northumberland Fusiliers 20th Battalion Tyneside Scottish Read their Story. Cpl. John Alpha Wilson. Kings Royal Rifle Corps 3rd Btn. Read their Story.
Add a name to this list.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved