The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
5th June 1916On this day:
- Inspections 236th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery at
B236 and C236 Batteries were inspected by the Brigadier General RA, 5 Corps. One Section of A236 Battery went into action at Ablain.
- 5th June 1916 Officers Ride
- 5th Jun 1916 Difficult task for Carrying Parties
- Trench Raid The raiding parties from 24th Northumberland Fusiliers left Franvillers in a motor bus at 18.30hrs on the evening of the 5th June, they were driven to Albert, reaching the town at approximately 20.00hrs.They were assembled in the large dug out at the enemy end of Mercer Street. By the same hour the Brigade and Battalion Commanders were in their respective positions, and communications had been tested.
There was at the time complete silence over the line.
At 23.00hrs (zero hour)the bombardment started according to the programme and during the bombardment the raiders left the dugout and made their way along the trench Sap no. 6.
At that the time the barrage was supposed to lift, but it did not.
With shells landing all around the head of the Sap, Major Gallwey waited for an opportunity to leave the Sap and cross No-Mans Land, but time had ran out. The party had by now several casualties.
Private Joseph Hughes of Spennymoor was killed and Lance Corporals Stockhill and Blades also Privates Brierley, Cain and Brown, along with Major Gallwey were wounded by British shellfire.
Sergeant Patrick Butler and four other soldiers were awarded Divisional Cards of Honour for the part they played in the raid. For Private Brown who had severe wounds,it was the end of the war and by the time the lads were going over the top on 1st of July, he was well on the way back to Blighty and home to Usworth.
- Raiding Party Nominal Roll of 24th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers Raiding Party 5th/6th June 1916.
- In command: Lieutenant W.A.Brown and 348Sgt.P.Butler.
- Bayonetmen 373 Pte.J Reardon. 656 Pte.H. Gilroy 541 Pte.J.W.Crieghton
836 Pte.J. Brierley 1189 Pte.D. Cain 1170 Pte.H. Hughes
- Throwers 1120 Pte. R. Taylor 1133 Pte.J. Connoly 1469 Pte.O. Kehoe
- Carriers 220 Cpl.A.Brodie 1577 L/Cpl.Nightingale
- Scouts 701 Lcpl.Gray 66 Pte.J. Donnelly
- Signallers 1375 Pte.A.T.Smith 101 Cpl. T.Lawler
- Stretch Bearers 48 Pte. T.Brown 1027 Pte.W.McGarr
- Machine Gun Team 204 L/Cpl.Nolan 420 Pte.Flannigan 1150 Pte. Egan
No. 2 Squad
- In command 2nd Lieut. J.A.Donnally and 630 Sgt. J.Leighton
- Bayonetmen 1448 Pte. Skelton 1635 Pte.Harold 727 Pte. Hubbard
Pte.Jones 417 Pte.Traynor 70 Pte. Wilson
764 Pte. Smith
- Bombers 1015 Pte. Cairns 983 Pte.Nimmons 1602 Pte.Blades
884 Pte. Charters
- Carriers L/Cpl. Stockhill Pte.J.Kelly
- Scouts 611 Pte. C.Hughes 448 Cpl.Graham
- Signallers 1402 RSM Grailey 1426 Pte. Marron
- Stretcher Bearers 234 Pte. Welsh 833 Pte. Rowell
- 5th Jun 1916 6th Northumberlands Relieved by 7th Btn.
- 5th Jun 1916 Ship Sunk
- 5th Jun 1916 On the Move
- 5th Jun 1916 Arab Revolt
- 5th Jun 1916 Recce
- 5th Jun 1916 Training
- 5th Jun 1916 Reliefs
- 5th Jun 1916 Raid Attempted
- 5th Jun 1916 Route March and Rranges
- 5th Jun 1916 In the Trenches
- 5th Jun 1916 Training
- 5th June 1916
- 5th of June 1916 Another Billet
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:18 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Remembering those who died this day. Pte. Alexander Young Atkinson. Canadian Infantry (Western Ontario Regiment) 1st Btn, A Coy. Read their Story. 2nd Cpl. Adam Graham. Royal Engineers 250th Tunnelling Company Read their Story. Pte. Charles Grant. Gordon Highlanders 1st/4th Btn. Read their Story. Pte. Henry Miles Pereira. Rifle Brigade 16th Btn. Read their Story. Pte. William Henry Roberts. Gloucestershire Regiment 13th (Forest of Dean Pioneers) Btn. Pte. John Smelt. East Yorkshire Regiment 10th (1st Hull) Btn. Read their Story. Cpl. John Joseph Welsh. Northumberland Fusiliers 21st (Tyneside Scottish) Btn. Read their Story.
Add a name to this list.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved